Summer is in full swing! And it is pool season for many of us! The downside, (it’s hard to find any really) chemicals in the pool can damage your hair (and for some of us blondies, turn our hair green). Plus, swimming in a pool can make hair dry and tangled as well as cause an itchy scalp. Don’t worry. We have the solution for you. Protect your hair from turning green, your scalp from itching, and your hair from getting tangled and overly dry with this DIY hair detangling & pool protectant spray, filled with essential oil goodness!
DIY Summer Hair Protecting Spray
- 1/2 cup of a clean, natural hair conditioner
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 to 5 drops of peppermint, rosemary, or lavender essential oils (your choice)
- Add natural hair conditioner to a glass spray bottle
- Add water to the glass spray bottle
- Shake vigorously
- Add essential oil of your choice. Note: peppermint is safest for color treated hair)
- Shake again until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly
- Before swimming, wet down hair and spray entire head of hair with protectant spray. Comb through your hair and enjoy your swim!
If you loved this DIY Summer Hair Protecting Spray recipe, here’s another clean skincare recipe you can try: Fruity Cucumber Mint Hydrator
Check out the ingredient benefits for your skin!
- Lavender Essential Oil – helps to calm inflammation in the skin and stress throughout your body. It soothes and diminishes blemishes and red bumps, while also detoxifying the skin. Lavender can help reduce the time needed to heal cuts, scrapes, or damage to the skin.
- Rosemary Essential Oil – with its potent antibacterial qualities, it fights acne bacteria from getting into your pores. With its non-comedogenic properties, rosemary essential oil both clears out pores and forms a protective barrier against future breakouts.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – helps to reduce stress, relax tension in the body, and relieve sore muscles. It can also aid in reducing symptoms of nausea and improve digestion and an upset stomach. Bonus, peppermint essential oil, supports reduced inflammation, redness, and irritation in the skin, and can promote increased blood circulation in the scalp for improved hair growth.